Sunday, November 18, 2012

recent projects

I have finally finished up some projects around the house and want to brag a bit.

I found this bookcase/bench on the side of the road (I love how everyone puts unwanted furniture outside in Australia)  It was pretty beat up and looking sad.
I sanded and stripped it for weeks- seriously it took forever!   I don't think I had the right varnish remover because according to a pinterest pin, stripping furniture is supposed to be easy... this was not.  Once I was happy with it, I re-stained it with a mixture of vinegar, steel wool and tea, and then added the red polk-a-dot wallpaper in the back. 
I absolutely love how it turned out and now want to try stripping other pieces of furniture too, hopefully it will go a little smoother next time around.

 The wall in our kitchen/ dining area is huge. I have hung up a mixture of different items on the wall and they all looked a little silly on the large blank wall.
 So a couple months ago I drew up my plans and actually followed through making the pieces to be hung up.   I cut out the bicycle and birds out of card stock free hand, the camera and whale pictures are transfers from freezer paper and the quote is traced. It was all pretty easy and I am really happy with how they all turned out.

Also along the same wall is this wood art I made 6 months ago. I used the same method for staining as the bench, I love the color the vinegar mixture produces. I am not all that in love with how the piece turned out but it is alright.  
I have this hanging in the kitchen area, I was trying to divide the spaces.. I am not sure how well that comes across.

Here is the wall in its entirety.

I also finished the kids art wall in their playroom.

These two chalk boards are my favorite.  I finished these about a year ago.  I found the cabinet doors on the side of the road (wahoo) spray painted them and added the chalkboard vinyl. viola!  Easy-peasy and I think pretty cute.

The end.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I love all your projects. I haven't commented on your blog lately but I want you to know I love your posts. You always have such cute pictures and great adventures.

Mary said...

Great job Erin! All of your projects turned out so well! Good job making your house so homey. I would, however, like to see the pictures in the black frames closer up - I want to see the camera and whales you speak of! Love ya sista!

Jacquie said...

Your projects look so great! I especially love the photo/frame wall.

Vangie said...

Love all the projects!!

Mom said...

I love your bench - great find and great refinishing job. And I love the wall arrangements. The dandelion is terrific!