Friday, December 30, 2011

Blackheath Grand Canyon

Last week we went on one of the most beautiful hikes (or bush walks) I have ever been on! It was so stunning, even Forest kept saying, "this is so amazing!" We hiked in total 7+ kilometers (or about 4 1/2 miles) with kids on our backs!

We of course took a million pictures and I have not done a good job at editing this post down to just a few photos so get ready for photo over-load. Also just to note, these photos do not do the canyon any sort of justice.

So to begin the hike we climbed down stairsmore stairs
more stairs and more stairs. The stairs were really steep at some points and pretty scary.
p.s. Bridger is totally strong - I mean look he is holding up that giant rock!
We finally made it down to the canyon floor.Once at the bottom, the hike got really exciting. It was so gorgeous!
We passed tons of weeping rocks. (I am feeling that water by the way) Bridger of course climbed the side of the walls whenever possible, poor Westly.



We squeezed under some rock overhangs

another overhang

and yet another overhang (there were a lot of them) We hiked through a tunnel...and came out on the other side to a beautiful waterfalllooking back on the waterfallme by some waterWe passed this cliff. You can't tell from the picture but that hole goes down like 30 or 40 (maybe more) feet.

Note the metal chains, people can repel down into the water and do a water hike - pretty awesome!Forest hiking. Most of the hike was pretty muddy. Good thing Forest insisted upon wearing his rain boots! He is a pretty awesome kid, he hiked half of the bush walk and would have done the whole thing if we would have let him.







Another weeping rock. Westly is so cute with his little arm out. He kept saying, "WOW!"another overhang



yet another overhang

ha! you thought by now I would be done showing overhangs..

a little snack. Woowee nice legs Bridger!

The side of a cliff. I wish this picture was better, it was so beautiful!

After going up and down some stairs we were back at the bottom of the canyon and hiked through water for a bit. It was so gorgeous! Seriously! so gorgeous!

there is some water drizzling down right by Bridger and Forest

Ins't that beautiful? Isn't Bridger so cute?

this picture is to show height on things. Pictures can be so deceiving on how tall something is. Do you spy Bridger and Forest?

can you spot the tiny me and Westly?

look how cute we are!

Bridger is one handsome man.

Getting sick of pictures yet? at this point we were almost done with our hike, although we had the hardest part left... the climb out!


I don't have any pictures of the climb out (I feared that if we stopped to take a picture we would never start back up again) But I do have this picture from the top of the beautiful Blue Mountains, unfortunately my camera is bad and doesn't capture the color well enough. But they are so breath taking!


p.s. Sorry my spacing is always messed up. Blogger always changes it on me once I post the blog.

3 comments:

Mary said...

So awesome Erin! What a cool place! I'm glad you made it out of there with everyone - carrying kids on your back is so much work!

wendy said...

Wow Erin, that is amazing! What an adventure! I am impressed that you were able to carry the kids and hike the whole way! What a beautiful place!

Mom said...

Beautiful pictures!! What an amazing hike!